Celery and Pear Bisque
- Reviews 5
Ready In: 50 mins
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups thinly sliced celery, with leaves plus chopped leaves (preferably organic, about 12 stalks, for garnish)
- 18 ounces unpeeled ripe bartlett pears, cored, diced (generous 3 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups leeks (the chopped dark green tops)
- 3 small turkish bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-salt chicken broth (or more)
- Melt butter in pot over medium-high heat. Add sliced celery, generous 3 cups diced pears, leek tops, bay leaves, and thyme. Cover; cook until celery softens, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Toss in flour. Stir in 3 cups broth; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until celery is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves from soup. Puree soup in batches in blender until smooth. Return puree to same pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Thin with more broth by 1/4 cupfuls, if desired. Rewarm briefly.
- Divide soup among bowls; garnish with 1/2 cup finely diced pear and celery leaves.
Did you Make This?
Tell us how it came out or how you tweaked it, add your photos, or get help.Show Off