Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
Ready In: 42 mins
Yields: 1 1/2 cup
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup canned bamboo shoot, drained
- 4 large dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 in thin strips
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, including tops, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 -3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 ounces firm tofu, cut into 2 in thin strips
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce (to taste)
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup of the water to a boil. Place the bamboo shoots in a small heatproof bowl and pour 1/2 cup of the boiling water over them; let soak for 5 minutes then drain. Add the dried mushrooms to the water to the water remaining in the saucepan and let soak for 15 minutes. Drain the mushrooms through a sieve, reserving the soaking liquid. Slice the mushrooms, discarding the stems.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the chicken and sauté for 4 minutes or until no longer pink on the outside. Add the soaked mushrooms, fresh mushrooms, green onions, stock, soy sauce, honey, and mushroom soaking liquid. Bring the sauce pan mixture to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with the remaining 1/4 cup water. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the simmering soup and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the tofu, vinegar, and red pepper sauce. Cook until the tofu is heated through.
Did you Make This?
Tell us how it came out or how you tweaked it, add your photos, or get help.Show Off