Ready In: 1 hr 20 mins
- 8 -10 plantains
- 1 lemon, juice of (optional)
- oil (for frying)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 tomatoes, chopped (or canned whole tomatoes, drained)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 chili pepper, chopped (optional)
- salt or coriander or cayenne pepper (to taste) or red pepper (to taste)
- 1 lb ground beef (optional) or 1 lb beef stew meat, cut in bite-sized pieces (optional)
- 1 cup beef broth (optional) or 1 cup beef stock (optional)
- Peel the plantains, cut into cubes, sprinkle with lemon juice, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Fry the Onion, tomatoes, green pepper, hot pepper, and garlic together. Add spices to taste. Add meat or broth. Continue frying and stirring until the meat is nearly done or until the broth is starting to boil.
- Reduce heat. Add plantains. Cover and simmer over low heat until plantains are tender and meat is done. Serve matoke (matooke, if you prefer) hot.
Did you Make This?
Tell us how it came out or how you tweaked it, add your photos, or get help.Show Off